MetaTrader 4 Strategy Tester – Properties
This lesson will cover the following
Parameters of the virtual account and the expert advisor under test can be set up in this window. At a later time, the data will be used in order to test or optimize the expert parameters. Three tabs can be found in the window:
– Testing – Parameters common for both testing and optimizations are put in this tab. These are volume and currency of the initial deposit, which are given in the fields with the corresponding names. Types of positions to be opened at testing can also be selected: “Only Long” will open only long positions, “Only Short” will open only short positions, “Long and Short” will open both types of positions. Whatever expert mechanisms are used, they will open positions only as specified here. One can include an optimization genetic algorithm and select a parameter to be optimized – maximization by the balance value, the profit factor, expected payoff, or minimization by the maximal draw down value or draw down percent.
Best Forex Brokers for United States
– Inputs – the list of all inputs is presented in this tab in the form of a table. Inputs are variables, which influence the expert work and can be changed directly from the client terminal. The amount can vary from expert to expert. The current data to be used at testing an expert will be shown in the “Value” field. Data to be written in the fields of “Start”, “Step” and “Stop” do not influence the expert testing. They are only used for its optimization. Initial value of the variable, step of change, and final value are presented in this field. Upon optimization, experts with parameters within the range between initial and final values will be passed consecutively. Checking from the right of the variable names allows one to include the parameter into optimization
process. If a variable has not been checked, it will not participate in optimization. Its value will not be changed in the optimization process, while the parameter, shown in the “Value” field, will be used.
One can also download a set of inputs already saved before, including the values of “Start”, “Step”, and “Stop”. In order to do that, he/she needs to press the “Load” button after the formerly saved set of inputs has been selected. The actual set of external variables can be saved by pressing the button of the same name.
It is recommended to include only necessary variables into optimization process. In case too many variables are included, the amount of passes and total
optimization time will sharply increase.
– Optimization – this tab allows one to manage optimization limits. In case the real values meet those, required in this tab, the current pass will be stopped and the next pass will be initiated. Parameters, that limit testing at optimization of the expert are:
1. Balance minimum – this is the minimal balance value in the deposit currency.
2. Profit maximum – this is the maximal profit in the deposit currency.
3. Minimal margin level – this is the minimal level of margin as a percentage.
4. Maximal draw down – the maximal draw down as a percentage.
5. Consecutive loss – this is the maximal total loss in one series of trades. A loss series is a certain number of consecutive losing trades.
6. Consecutive loss trades – this is the maximal amount of losing trades in one series.
7. Consecutive win – this is the maximal total gain in one series of trades. A win series is a certain number of consecutive profitable trades.
8. Consecutive win trades – this is the maximal amount of profitable trades in one series.